Buffalo chicken is a favorite in the Taylor household. From pizza, dips, casseroles and wings, we love anything you can slather buffalo sauce on. One minor setback, my stomach has an aversion to dairy. I can tolerate small amounts, like a sprinkle here or a spoonful there, any more, and I’m down for days. Since dairy is a key ingredient in most buffalo chicken dishes, I use to struggle with the, treat yo’ self, and then, hate yo’ self, mentality.
Tired of the side effects dairy was causing, I started creating my own buffalo chicken dishes. My husband and I have recently stepped up our game, incorporating dairy free cheese on our buffalo chicken pizza, thank you Trader Joe’s. We also LOVE PaleOMG buffalo chicken chili and buffalo chicken casserole. You must try both of these recipes, they are perfect to make on meal prep days, you will have plenty of leftover for the rest of the week.
Now that the temperatures are in the 20’s here, I’ve been craving warm comfort food in the form of a big bowl of pasta. I decided to take a shot at creating a dairy free buffalo chicken pasta, the end result, buffalo perfection.
I’ve found through my buffalo chicken research, there is one rule of all Buffalo chicken dishes, DAIRY, the more the merrier. I am happy to say I managed to make this one full of fiber, protein and NO dairy! Can I get a Hallelujah for all my dairy free friends out there.
There has been a recent buzz around protein pastas. We’ve tried a handful, our favorite so far is the red lentil pasta from Trader Joe’s. Raise your hand if you are obsessed with Trader Joe’s! I’ve tried to get my hands on Banza pasta for awhile now, I could never find it in the grocery store. Finally, Target pulled through, they had Banza shells in stock! The quick and dirty on Banza pasta , it is a pasta made out of chickpeas, packed full of 25 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber per serving. The pasta is gluten free, low on the glycemic index and certified non – GMO.
The verdict, my husband, a buffalo chicken connoisseur, gave it a five star rating. So, there you have it, a new favorite buffalo chicken dish that fits your macros.
- 1 box Banza pasta ( I used shells)
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, cut into cubes or shredded ( I baked chicken at 350 for 20 mins before hand)
- 2 tbsp ghee (Trader Joe's)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast (Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 Cup coconut milk full fat from can ( Trader Joe's)
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour ( you can sub cornstarch if you want)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup Franks Buffalo hot sauce ( add more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tsp S & P
- 1/4 cup dairy free shredded Mozzarella (Trader Joe's or Daiya)
- 1/2 ranch dressing packet (omit if you are severely allergic to dairy)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Bring water to boil in saucepan and follow directions on pasta box. ( Banza pasta cooked in about 10 mins)
- Meanwhile, place ghee in large sauce pan. Add chopped onions and cook for 5-8 minutes. Add in coconut milk and stir. Slowly stir in tapioca flour. Once mixed and sauce starts to thicken add garlic, ranch packet, nutritional yeast and S&P. Mix well and then add franks hot sauce to the mix.
- Remove pan from heat and assemble your dish. I used a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Spray with coconut spray or some type of oil. Add the pasta first, then place the chicken on top. Pour sauce over mixture. Crack egg on top. Combine ingredients in the pan, mix well.
- Sprinkle dairy free cheese on top. Drizzle a little paleo ranch dressing on top (optional) and top with cilantro.
- Macros- P: 33 C: 62 F: 15