Breakfast, the best meal of the day, amirite? Gooey cinnamon rolls, flaky biscuits, crispy bacon, DONUTS. Totally normal, everyday, breakfast staples …
Ehhh, let’s hope not. If those options are your go to, that’s A-OK, I’m here to shed some light, share a new perspective when it come to breakfast.
Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. Your body has been on a fast for hours. When you wake up, you need to refuel and re-energize, fueling your body with mostly high GI carbohydrates, will leave you feeling sluggish and may just put you back in that coma.
I know, I know, don’t get your panties in wad just yet, you think I’m going to tell you to substitute vegetables and green drinks for donuts, HA, not that mean. However you can come close to creating similar, great tasting, breakfast meals that satisfy all your macro’s. AND… the best part, you feel energized, full of awesome the rest of the morning. Your body is thanking you for fueling with the nutrients it needs to keep you operating like the boss lady you are.
Check out my list of easy peasy, portable, macro pleasing meals. I promise you will thank me later.
( Food photography – Not in my wheelhouse of expertise, work in progress)
Cute little meal in a mason jar ( mine aren’t that cute, it only took 5 minutes), so many compliments, and then you go to eat your fancy mason jar breakfast. How do you even get your spoon to the bottom? The gooey oats, all over my fingers, I can’t even lick the inside of the jar. No shame. Not so practical anymore, eh? I usually make my oats in Tupperware, not pretty, but much more practical. It all taste the same, so really, who cares?
Leftover peanut butter jars are also an awesome way to make overnight oats. For those of you silently judging my Skippy PB, I understand. Super chunky Skippy PB is my jam, not the best peanut butter out there but OH SO GOOD. If you are trying to lose weight, I don’t recommend Skippy, the sugar content is high.
Overnight oats are extremely convenient, grab on the go, and eat in the car (shame face, sometimes you gotta do it), even great for pre-workout meals, if you time it right. Meaning, don’t eat thirty minutes before a cardio intensive workout, you’ll puke.
I’ve provided a foundation for your oats. Now it’s time for you to get creative or check out the sites below with some great recipes. You can find recipes all over the web, no need to re-create the wheel on this one.
- Muscle for life – Protein focused recipes.
- Carrots N Cake – Carrot cake overnight oats
- Peanut Butter fingers – vegan protein overnight oats
- Peanut Butter Fingers – PB & J overnight oats
- Balanced Bites – N’oatmeal Banana vanilla bean
For basics, here is what you need to know.
1/3 cup oatmeal
1/3 cup milk of any kind ( I use almond or coconut – it truly doesn’t matter, it will just change your macro count a bit)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Optional: 1 scoop protein powder ( if you need to hit protein goals, you aren’t against protein powder, do it! Great source of protein in the morning to get you started on the right foot.)
Once you have your foundation for the overnight oats, then it’s a playground of what you can mix and add in
berries, bananas, pears, peaches, apples, cherries
nut butters, shredded coconut, cashews, almonds, pistachios, dried fruit, zucchini, carrots
vanilla, chocolate chips, cinnamon, nutmeg
You get the picture.
French Toast hold the Toast
5 Ingredient Pancakes ( DA BEST)
Please try these pancakes, at least once. Let me know your thoughts, they will not disappoint, you could trick anyone into thinking these suckers are the real deal. I used to eat them every morning, cold, warm, as a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Just YAS.
- 1/3 cup cottage cheese ( I use fat free)
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2 eggs
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of vanilla
- Place all ingredients in a blender, blend until batter like consistency. Turn stove on medium heat, place griddle on stove and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour pancake batter, flip when pancakes start bubbling.
- Top with your favorite toppings!
- MACROS: P: 26 F: 12 C: 21
A few others if you have some extra time in the morning or on the weekend when you meal prep:
- Protein Donuts – FlapJacked is a protein pancake and waffle mix. You can purchase on amazon , find in a few grocery stores or purchase online. These are stupid simple to make and taste great.
- Daily Harvest Smoothies – I have not tried these yet, plan on it soon. Ingredients, macro content, all look great and are super easy to grab and go.
- Bagel Sandwiches – Dave’s killer Everything bagel (found in most grocery stores) , 1-2 egg(s) over easy, and 2 slices of bacon. ( optional: Avocado) Assemble the sandwich and you’re welcome.